Asbestos is infamous for being dangerous to human health – however, some homes still contain asbestos in the walls and other areas. While not dangerous when undisturbed, it can cause major issues during renovations when asbestos-containing walls, insulation, floors or ceilings are knocked through. It’s therefore vital that you know how to identify asbestos in your home so you can avoid problems when the time comes to give your home a makeover.

In this article, we cover the dangers of asbestos, along with how to spot asbestos, and then safely dispose of it.

Asbestos found in home

The dangers of asbestos

Asbestos is a mineral present in fibres. It does not pose a health risk if left undisturbed, meaning it can dwell in houses and other structures for decades without causing any problems. However, when airborne, the asbestos fibres are toxic and can cause serious health issues. Years of unknowing exposure to these fibres can result in a cancer called mesothelioma developing on a person’s heart, lungs or other areas, or a respiratory disease called asbestosis.

Asbestos doesn’t necessarily need to be physically disturbed to cause issues – it can also become dislodged or airborne due to deterioration over time.

Where is asbestos commonly found?

Asbestos on roof

Many properties built prior to the 1980s contain asbestos, whether that be in ceiling tiles, floor tiles, pipes, cement, roof tiles, floors, insulation, and other areas. It can also be present in textured paints or coatings found on ceilings or walls in older houses.

Asbestos can sometimes be very difficult to identify, as it’s often painted over or found in out-of-sight locations throughout a property. The only surefire way to establish if your home has asbestos is via a laboratory sample.

How to safely dispose of asbestos

So, what should you do if you find asbestos in your home? The key thing is to not try and remove or dispose of it yourself. Doing so could result in fibres being circulated around your property, getting caught on surfaces and entering the lungs of householders.

Due to its hazardous nature, it should only be removed by trained professionals, as this is highly specialist work – Hinton’s Waste has a dedicated asbestos disposal service to ensure the safety of your home and everyone in it.

Hinton’s Waste are the go-to waste management specialists, serving London, Croydon and Sutton. We can safely remove and dispose of asbestos found in your home to the appropriate health and safety standards. To find out more, please get in touch with our experts today.